Top 12 Youth 5v5 Flag Football Teams Preseason Rankings by Division
With both the FFWCT Battle Vegas and Battle Orlando Nationals behind us that saw over 60 top youth teams competing, plus National Flag Football’s Nationals in Miami all taking place in January, we now have updated our staff rankings for who we feel are the top youth 5v5 flag football teams in the country by division for the 10U – 14U divisions! These rankings are in consideration of results from the NFL FLAG National Championships, NFL FLAG Regionals and the Michael S. Malia National Championship. Not just wins and losses, but scores, who beat who, etc.
Want to get ranked? Make sure you check out the National Flag Football Championship Tour series featuring 25+ tournaments all over the country in 2018 where you can earn bids to the National Championship in Orlando next January, ranking points, and more all included in the TOUR. I analyzed the results from the NFL FLAG National Championships, not just wins and losses, but scores, who beat who, etc. I also went back to Tourney Machine and analyzed each regional event, all of which played a factor in our rankings.
Top 12 Youth 5v5 Flag Football Teams in the Country
- Team Impact – AZ (AZ Regional Winner) – Undefeated in pool play at 4-0. This team scored 25+ points in every game except for the semi-final where they were held to 19. True dominating performance in their Nationals run.
- Old Skewl Sports – NY (NY Regional Winner) – Couple of key players battling sickness at the Nationals event but fought through posting a 3-1 record in pool play only losing to YYFFA in a 6-2 bout. Shut out RedZone in the semifinals.
- Red Zone Sports – FL (ATL Regional Winner) – Also 3-1 in pool play falling to Old Skewl Sports in the semifinals.
- YYFFA – OH (INDY Regional Winner) – Top seed out of their pool play bracket at 3-1, YFFA gives Team Impact the closest game for them in the whole tournament but falls to them 19-13.
- Ryan Football – FL (ATL Regional Runner-up) – Was not at the National Tournament, but I believe this ranking is spot on, had then been there I believe they would have finished top 5 for sure.
- Chandler Raiders – AZ (AZ Regional Semi Finalist) – Also missing out on the trip to Nationals, the Raiders lost to Team Impact in a tough AZ Regional Tournament in the semifinals.
- MoSteel – FL (ATL Regional Semi Finalist) – Was not at the National Tournament, but clearly deserve to be in the ranking as they compete against Ryan and Red Zone ALL the time and are right there with them.
- Virginia Xtreme Sports – VA (BALT Regional Winner) – Struggled in a tough pool at Nationals but were still able to end the tournament posting 2 wins.
- NSFFL – MA (NE Regional Winner) – The youngest team in the entire tournament, WATCH OUT next year as the entire team consisted of 9 year old’s as they upset their own 10 year old’s at the NE Regional Tournament.
- APEX – NV (LA Regional Winner) – 2-2 in pool play, they opened bracket play with Old Skewl Sports. Gave them a tough game, but just wasn’t enough to keep moving on, as they fell 13-7 in the quarter finals.
- Tucson Turf – AZ (AZ Regional Runner-up) – Also missing out on the trip to Nationals, Tucson fell short to the National Champs in the AZ Regional Finals.
- Flight Zone – MI (INDY Regional Runner-up) – Battled with YFFA in Regionals, but just fell short of punching their ticket to NFL FLAG NATIONALS.
Honorable Mentions: Play Sports-HI, KFL-LA, LBFFA-PA
- YYFFA – OH (INDY Regional Winner) – Started pool play off at 2-2. Last play of the game victories in both the semi-finals and final game crowns them as the number one team in the nation, no questions asked!
- Red Zone Sports – FL (ATL Regional Winner) – 5-0 in pool play. 6-0 heading into the Semi-Final game with the top WR in the tournament’s age group Red Zone fell to the eventual National Champions 28-27.
- Play Sports – HI (LA Regional Winner) – Started pool play off at 2-2. A three-touchdown victory and a two-touchdown victory heading into the finals, Hawaii looked like they would win it all, but were beat at the end to earn them the National Runners-up.
- NJ Panthers – NJ (NY Regional Winner) – The only other undefeated team heading into the bracket besides Red Zone, the NJ boys battled with Hawaii in the Semi-Finals, but just didn’t have enough left in the tank.
- Flight Zone – MI (INDY Regional Runner-up) – Did not qualify for Nationals but had a 12-0 lead in the INDY Regional Finals against the National Champs, but fell 13-12, making them ineligible to attend the event.
- Ryan Football – FL (Did not attend Regionals) – Did not attend Regionals or Nationals but can compete with any team on this list. A week prior to Nationals fell twice to Red Zone in close games.
- Virginia Xtreme Sports – VA (BALT Regional Winner) – 3-1 in pool play. Knocked out in a battle with the National Champs in the Quarter Finals 14-12.
- NSFFL – MA (NE Regional Winner) – 2-3 in pool play. Fell a touchdown short to Red Zone in the Quarter Finals
- Prime Time Dolphins – AZ (AZ Regional Winner) – 2-2 in pool play and then shut out by Hawaii in the quarter finals ended Prime Time’s tournament hopes.
- MoSteel – FL (Did not attend Regionals) -Did not attend Regionals or Nationals but can compete with any team on this list. A week prior to Nationals fell to Ryan Football in close games.
- TFL – TX (HOU Regional Winner) – Only had 1 win at Nationals, but all losses were to teams on this list.
- Team Impact – AZ (Did not attend Regionals) – Did not attend regionals, however cracked the top 12 list simply because they belong there!
Honorable Mentions: Hard Count Athletics-CA, Tucson Turf-AZ, APEX Predators-NV
- Tucson Turf – AZ (AZ BID Winner) – Coming in at #1 Tucson Turf as the 2018 NFL FLAG National Champions. Many tough games throughout the tournament, but they know how to win!
- TFL – TX (HOU Regional Winner) – Dominating performances throughout the entire event, just fell short on the biggest stage.
- NSFFL – MA (NE Regional Winner) – Had the most exciting wide receiver in the entire tournament on their squad, just came up short in the Semi-Final Game against TFL, but pretty much dominated everyone else in their path.
- HFFL – NV (LA Regional Winner) – Tough Region to qualify out of, but very smooth all of day one into day two. They battled with the eventual Champions in the Semi Finals and came up just short of the National Championship game.
- Ryan Football – FL (ATL Regional Winner) – Extremely talented athletes, with a precision passer at QB. Had to qualify out of the toughest regional bracket for sure, beating both Red Zone and MoSteel before even getting to Nationals.
- Red Zone Sports – FL (ATL Regional Runner-up) – We’re not at Nationals, but this team would of beat most of the teams there no question.
- Flight Zone – MI (INDY Regional Winner) – One of the youngest QB’s in the 14u division, Stud Wide Receiver’s, made a nice deep run in the National Tournament, knocking off the defending National Champs Virginia Xtreme before falling to HFFL.
- MoSteel – FL (ATL Regional Semi Finalist) – Knocked out in the ATL Regional Finals, first time in 17 years not at NFL NATIONALS, but still nationally known and still at a top-level team.
- NJ Panthers – NJ (NY Regional Winner) – High hopes for a chance at the National Championship fell short when they ran into the eventual National Champs in a one score game ending their tournament run.
- Virginia Xtreme Sports – VA (WASH BID Winner) – The defending National Champs with an entire new team, did well in pool play and lost a very tight game in the Quarter Finals ending their tournament run.
- High Intensity – CA (SD BID Winner) – 2nd straight year showing in Nationals with a nice run in the playoff bracket. Just like many others they fell Tucson Turf who went on to win it all in a close game.
- Leominster – MA (NE Regional Runner-up) – 2nd Best team in the NE Regional Tournament who battled NSFFL and made them earn their trip to Nationals. Would have competed with top 10 teams in the National Tournament.
Honorable Mentions: Play Sports-HI, PFF Steelers-PA, Manzella Saints-LA
14U Girls Rankings
- Tucson Turf – AZ (AZ Regional Winner) – The NFL FLAG National Champions left no doubt as to who should be in the top spot finishing the year with a 12-0 record after a thrilling victory over the defending National Champions in the 2018 NFL FLAG National Championship.
- Arlington – VA (WASH Regional Winner) – The defending National Champions came up just short in 2018. With only one loss in 2018 to Tucson Turf, the Arlington girls cemented their #2 ranking this year.
- Texas Fury – TX (HOU Regional Winner) – The Texas Fury took care of everyone in their path except Tucson Turf, losing 8-7 in group play and 13-7 in the NFL FLAG National semifinals.
- NSFFL – MA (NE Regional Winner) – Making their 4th straight appearance at NFL FLAG Nationals, the NSFFL girls couldn’t get past Arlington in group play or the semifinals but they handled everyone else they played.
- East Bay – CA (LA Regional Winner) – The LA Chargers Regional winner compiled a 7-3 record with losses to three of the top four teams in the country.
- Old Skewl – NY (NY Regional Winner) – After capturing the New York Jets Regional title, the OSS girls had a good showing at their first Nationals appearance before falling victim to Tucson Turf in the quarterfinals.
- YYFFA – OH (INDY Regional Winner) – The YYFFA girls are no stranger to the NFL FLAG Nationals but struggled to score points against the #2, #3 and #4 teams on this list.
- Harrisburg – PA (WASH Regional Runner-Up) – The Harrisburg girls had Arlington right where they wanted them in the Baltimore Regional final, but the experienced defending National Champions punched their ticket to Orlando while Harrisburg was left wondering what could have been.
- Red Zone Cardinals – AZ (AZ Regional Runner-Up) – The Red Zone Cardinals had to go through the eventual National Champions at the Arizona Regional and, despite a solid showing, they failed to do what no other team could – beat Tucson Turf.
- SJNFLFL – NJ (NY Regional Runner-Up) – After beating Old Skewl Sports in group play, the SJNFLFL went undefeated and were the top seed in the New York Regional Final before falling victim to OSS in the championship game.
- Manzella Saints – LA (NO Regional Winner) – The Manzella Saints’ path to the NFL FLAG Nationals was easier than most with no competition at the New Orleans Regional and their only win at Nationals was against the #12 team on this list.
- Make it Count Sports – FL (ATL Regional Winner) – After falling behind two games to zero against Ryan Football in the Atlanta Regional, Make It Count Sports pulled off three straight wins to surprisingly earn a bid to NFL FLAG Nationals where they battled hard but came away winless.
Honorable Mentions: Narragansett-RI, Southgate Raiders-CA, Ryan Football – FL
Do you agree with these rankings? Is there anyone you feel should be ranked that isn’t or is overrated? Feel free to let us know in the comments below and stay tuned for more rankings and blogs from the FFWCT and National Flag Football!