8v8 Screen Coed Flag Football teams must consist of 3 female’s on the field at the same time or be subject to forfeit. A typical team would consist of 5 males and 3 female’s, but you may use more female’s than required, but no less than 3. As long as you have 3 females and a minimum of 6 total players on the field you are eligible for play.
For women’s and coed formats, a Junior size or Intermediate size football is allowed.
To ensure coed participation, a penalty will ensue if the offensive team fails to use a female as an operative player within 3 consecutive downs. The penalty for running 3 consecutive plays without a female as an Operative Player will be a 5 yard penalty and a loss of down (i.e. if it was 1st down during the penalty, it is now 2nd down) and the female must now be the operative player on the next play. An Operative Player is defined as a player who:
• is the intended receiver in the eyes of the official
• runs the ball as the primary runner (must cross line of scrimmage)
• receives the snap as the QB and must attempt to be the person who initiates the ball crossing the line of scrimmage –
An Operative Player is NOT defined as a player who:
• hands off the football
• snaps the ball into play
• receives a hand-off only to give it back to a male before crossing the line of scrimmage
• receives a pitch downfield
• a pass deflected by a male and caught by a female is a female play
• a pass intended for a female (in the eyes of the referee) that is deflected by a female, and caught by a male counts as a female play
• a pass thrown by a male, received by a male and immediately pitched to a female (the “hook and ladder”) will not constitute a female play – no matter how far the female advances with the ball after the pitch
• a pass intentionally grounded by a female in the last one minute of either half in order to stop the clock DOES count as a female play
• if a female pitches the ball to a male behind the line of scrimmage this will not result in a female play.
6 points awarded for all male participation
9 points awarded for female participation if the operative player.
1 point awarded for all male participation play from 3 yard line
• 2 points awarded for all male participation from 10 yard line
• 2 points awarded for female participation play from 3 yard line. Only qualifies if it fulfills all Operative Player requirements above (i.e. if a male passes to a male and then simply hands off or pitches to a female just before crossing the goal line, this is not a 2 or 3 point play).
• 3 points awarded for female participation play from 10 yard line.