THE FOLLOWING 5v5 CONTACT FLAG FOOTBALL RULES FOR MEN’S AND WOMEN’S ARE FFWCT APPROVED.
Game Time is Forfeit Time – NO GRACE PERIOD
Minimum 3 players to start a game
· CONTACT IS ALLOWED – Open hand contact allowed between shoulder and waist
· A coin toss determines first possession Team can elect to have offense, defense, defer, or direction. Choice in the 2nd half will be awarded to the team that did not have 1st half election.
· The offensive team takes possession of the ball at their 5-yard line and has three plays to cross mid-field. Once a team crosses mid-field they have three plays to score. If the offense fails to score, the ball changes possession. If the off team fails to cross mid-field, the ball changes possession. All drives start from the 5-yard line except interceptions.
GAME CLOCK FORMAT
· Each time the ball is spotted the offensive team has 20 seconds to snap the ball. (Officials will warn the offense when there are 10 seconds left to snap the ball). Teams must wait until the referees are set or a referee acknowledges they are prepared to start the play. All dead ball penalties in the last minute of the game are loss of down and stops the clock. Tournament clock is 25 minutes long. Two 12 minute halves and a 1-minute halftime.
· Extra points are worth 1 from the 5 and 2 from the 10 – extra points can be returned for 2.
· Each team has two 30 second time outs per game that can be used at any time during the game. If a time out is called after a TD the clock will not run until the change of possession and the offense snaps their ball.
RUSHING THE QUARTERBACK
· Players that rush the quarterback must be a minimum of 1 yards from the line of scrimmage when the ball is snapped.
· All offensive players may run the ball at any time, except in no-run zones.
· No stiff arming allowed – considered flag guarding.
· No run zones are located 5 yards before mid-field and 5-yards before the end zone. You may not run the ball in the no run zone. Only forward passes are allowed.
· Teams may handoff, pitch, or throw back the football in the backfield. The player who receives the pitch or handoff may throw the ball as long as he is not beyond the line of scrimmage. Pitching (backward) is allowed.
· A forward pass does not have to cross the line of scrimmage to be a legal play.
· Ball is spotted where the flag is pulled. The lead flag must break the plane of the midfield or goal line to be considered a first down or TD. The ball doesn’t have to cross.
· There is no 5 second count to pass the ball if not rushed,.
· Interceptions may be returned. The rusher may not hit the quarterbacks’ arm, or knock the ball out of the quarterbacks’ hand. The rusher must play the flags.
· All players are eligible to receive a pass, including the quarterback, if the ball has been pitched back or handed off behind the line of scrimmage. Players must have at least one foot in bounds when making a catch. Players that run OOB during a play cannot be the first player to touch a ball when attempting to make a catch.
PLAY IS RULED DEAD WHEN:
The offensive player’s flag is pulled. Ball carrier steps out of bounds, touchdown is scored, the ball carriers’ knee touches the ground, an incomplete pass and/or anytime the ball hits the ground. If a player loses a flag unintentionally, the defense only has to touch the ball carrier, not pull the flag. Players may not start a play without a flag.
· Offside-Illegal Rush. Pass interference /Face Guarding (must play/look at ball).
· Holding * Note the officials will determine incidental contact which may result from normal run of play.
· Roughing the quarterback – the rusher may not knock the ball out of the quarterback’s hand or bump into them.
· Excessive contact – even if the defender is making a play on the ball. If the official feels it was intentional or with intent to harm the player will be ejected from the game and may be removed from the tournament.
· All defensive penalties are five yards from the line of scrimmage and automatic first down except holding – spot foul plus 5, pass interference – 15 yards from LOS and Roughing the QB, Major 15 – Minor 5.
· Pre-Snap Penalties – these are not a loss of down. Illegal motion /False Start/ delay of game/ illegal equipment violation – a player may not start a play without flags
· Flag guarding (players must keep their hands above their waist). Charging (the offensive player must avoid the defender if they are set).
· Delay of game (all delay of game penalties stop the clock). Pass interference (illegal pick, pushing off defender).
· Excessive contact – If the official feels it was intentional or with intent to harm the player will be ejected from game.
· All off penalties are five yards from the line of scrimmage and loss of down except flag guarding which is a spot foul and the pre-snap penalties mentioned above.
SPORTSMANSHIP / ROUGHING
· Trash talking will not be tolerated. The official has the right to determine language that is offensive. (Trash talking is language that may be considered offensive to the official, opposing team, or spectators). The official may eject players from the game for trash talking.
· If the official witnesses any act of tackling, elbowing, cheap shots, or any other sportsmanlike act, the game will be stopped and the player will be ejected from the game.
RULES FOR INSIDE 2 MINUTES AT END OF THE HALF AND REGULATION
Defensive pass interference is a spot foul and will result in an automatic 1st down.
Intentional delay of game by any defensive player, team member, or fan will result in an unsportsmanlike 15 yard penalty, automatic 1st down and the clock will stop until the offensive team snaps the ball (20 second play clock still applies).
OVERTIME EXTRA POINT SHOOT OUT
· A coin flip determines first possession. Each team has one possession in overtime. They may elect to go for one or two points. If score is still tied both teams will have one play from the 5 yard line to gain as much yardage as possible. Team with the most yardage will win. An additional coin toss determines who goes first.
• Players may not have pockets and may not tape pockets in any way. Only professionally sewn or zippers are fine.
• All players must wear a protective mouthpiece, available on-site for a small fee
• Only Sonic Flags are allowed and may not be altered in any way.
• If someone scores with pockets the result will be loss of down and five yard penalty from the original line of scrimmage.
• Same color shirts are mandatory – you do not need numbers or matching logos, you only need the same color shirt.
• Referees reserve the right to negate touchdowns or remove players from the game if they are not following our uniform rules.